SURGICAL ONCOLOGY Program Candidates Match Application and Ranking Submission
REMINDERS for SURGICAL ONCOLOGY Program Candidates:
• The SSO Online Match System Initial Application page will open on Wednesday, June 5 and close at 11:59 p.m. (CT) on Wednesday, August 7. All application materials and letters of recommendation must be submitted to SSO by Wednesday, August 7. You may log in and out of the system during your application process. Initial applications for surgical oncology fellowships will NOT be accepted after that date.
• The Ranking Entry process will be conducted through the National Residency Match Program (NRMP®). Program candidates must register with the NRMP® (even if you have utilized the R3 system before). Please do this by going to Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system, using a unique email, username and password.
• QUESTIONS? Please contact SSO staff Jenny Ramion at email@example.com for assistance. Thank you!
Steps for getting into R3
To access the R3 system, you will:
- Go to the R3 system.
- Login to Option 2, by clicking Register.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a username and password of your choice. The NRMP is unable to retrieve your unique login information, and you must reset your password if you forget it.
- Complete the registration process by filling out your profile information. If you list a personal email account (e.g., Gmail) with the NRMP, be sure to remove all filters that may assign incoming NRMP email to a SPAM folder.
Instructions & Deadlines for the 2013 Surgical Oncology Fellowship Match Program
To Apply for an SSO approved Surgical Oncology Fellowship:
Please note: It is best to begin the application process about a year before your anticipated date of entry into the fellowship.
(1) Gather the following items prior to using the SSO Online Match System:
- A credit card (Visa/MC/AMEX) to pay the $150 (USD) application fee.
- Citizenship/Visa information (if not a US citizen)
- ECFMG Image: Upload a scanned copy of your certificate
- USMLE scores and documentation: Upload only first page of test score results with
- Portrait photo (.jpg or .tif)
- Personal statement
- FMG documentation: Upload scanned documents showing you have completed medical
School and are in a residency program (e.g. diploma and letter from Program Director)
- Peer reference names and addresses. Ask your references to send letters directly to the
Society of Surgical Oncology at the address below. A maximum of five reference letters may
be submitted to the SSO. (SSO staff will upload the files into the system for the Program
Directors to view.) Under “Applicant Interest” in the SSO Online Match System, you agree to
Release the documents you upload and the reference letters we receive to the institutions
you select to interview with.
- ABSITE process: If you have taken the COMPLEX or some other in-service, send details to the
institution you are interested in, with a copy to the SSO at the address below.
- If you have Professional Liability Claims, be prepared to upload a list of them, with status of
(2) Click the link to the SSO Online Match System below. The deadline for completing your online application and uploading/sending in all your documents is August 7, 2013 by 11:59 p.m. (CT). You may log in and out of the system during your application process.
(3) Again, request that your references send their reference letters (on institutional letterhead) to the Society of Surgical Oncology at the address listed below:
Society of Surgical Oncology
Attn: Jenny Ramion, Fellows Program Manager
9525 West Bryn Mawr Ave., Suite 870
Rosemont, IL 60018
(To confirm that your reference letters have been received by the SSO Office; please contact Jenny Ramion at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2013 Surgical Oncology Fellowship Interview dates coming soon!
(4) Between August 7, 2013 and September 25, 2013 after interviewing with institutions you are interested in, you will log back into the NRMP® system to indicate your preferences on the Matching Application. The deadline for submitting your ranking is September 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (CT)
(5) Match Results will be announced via email to all applicants by NRMP® on October 9, 2013.
(6) If you have any questions, please contact Jenny Ramion at email@example.com.
Deadline Dates – 2013 Surgical Oncology Fellowship Match Program:
June 5, 2013 - August 7, 2013 11:59 p.m. (CT)
Candidates apply to SSO Approved Surgical Oncology Fellowship Programs of their choice via the SSO Online System. This means that applicants interested in applying for a Surgical Oncology fellowship must have applied via the SSO Online Match System and paid their $150 (USD) by August 7 at 11:59 p.m. (CT).
July – September 2013
Candidates interview with institutions of their choice (Calendar here)
August 7 – September 25 2013
The Match Application Selection Receipt (or “Rank List”) must be completed via the NRMP® R3 system by September 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (CT)
October 9, 2013
Results of the match announced via email by the NRMP® to all applicants.