For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) registered in Rosemont, IL, USA with a registered address of 9525 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 870, Rosemont, IL, 60018.
SSO’s nominated representative for the purposes of the GDPR is Karen Araujo. Our Data Protection Office is James Tigueros who be contacted by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Society of Surgical Oncology, 9525 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 870, Rosemont, IL, 60018.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com or call at 847-427-1400.
Personal data that you give us: SSO may collect and process the following Personal Data: contact information, membership information, dues payment information, practice and medical specialty information, product/event purchase information, Annals of Surgical Oncology manuscript submission information.
Personal data we collect from you: With regard to each of your visits to the Site we will automatically collect the following information: information about your Site visit including pages visited and time spent on the SSO Site, location information and continuing medical education and maintenance of certification information.
Non-personal Data: SSO collects information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and SSO may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to the Society’s Site, including, without limitation: IP addresses, browser type and plug-in details, device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), operating system, local time zone.
SSO may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving the Society’s Site. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that the Society stores on your browser or the hard drive of your computer, if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
You do not have to accept SSO’s cookies and can block them by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse all or some cookies. You may also delete them after they have been placed on your hard drive. If you do not accept or delete the Society’s cookies, some areas of the Site that you access may take more time to work, or may not function properly. For more information about cookies, visit: http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
SSO uses the following cookies: strictly necessary cookies, analytical/performance cookies, functionality cookies, targeting cookies, third-party cookies.
You can find more information about the individual cookies SSO uses and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
Cookies used by Society of Surgical Oncology
|Cookie Source||Cookie Name||Purpose||Expiration|
|Google Universal Analytics||_ga||This helps us count how many people visit the Site by tracking if you have visited before||2 years|
How SSO uses your personal data
The Society will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (3) SSO is required by law, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of the Society’s legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests.
SSO may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
Personal Data you give to SSO
SSO will use this Personal Data:
- To carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and SSO and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us, including Annual Cancer Symposium, Annals of Surgical Oncology eTOC, ExpertEd@SSO educational programs and SURGONConnect;
- To organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- To respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- To provide you with information about other events, products and services SSO offers that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- To transfer your information as part of a merger or sale of the business;
- To notify you about changes to the Society’s membership service; and
- To ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Information SSO collects about you
SSO will use this Personal Data:
- To administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To improve SSO’s Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- As part of the Society’s efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising SSO serves to you and others, and to deliver relevant;
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of the SSO Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Personal Data SSO receives from other sources
SSO will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. SSO will use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
When SSO shares and who can access your personal data
SSO may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice with:
- a member of SSO’s group and partners,
- suppliers and sub-contractors,
- analytics and search engine providers that assist the Society in the improvement and optimization of the SSO Site,
- credit reference agencies,
- trusted third-party companies and individuals
- in the event that SSO sell’s or buy’s any business or assets, in which case the Society will disclose your Personal Data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Society of Surgical Oncology or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
SSO will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
Selling your personal data
SSO occasionally sells your Personal Data (in the form of name and mailing address only) to third parties. If you would like to opt-out of receiving direct mail from third parties, please send an opt-out request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security and storage
Although SSO uses security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, the Society cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet.
Transfer of personal data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and international Users
SSO is headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by the Society or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you visit the SSO Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using SSO’s Services, you consent to any transfer of this information.
How long SSO stores your personal data
SSO will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits the Society to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. SSO may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, SSO will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request.
The Society maintains one or more databases to store your Personal Data and may keep such information indefinitely.
Where SSO stores your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on the Society’s secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Storage (U.S. law specific). The Personal Data that you provide to SSO is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to SSO servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that SSO has about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, please contact us at email@example.com.
Additionally, if you prefer not to receive marketing messages from SSO, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any marketing message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your European Rights
You have the right to ask SSO not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes. The Society will usually inform you (before collecting your Personal Data) if we intend to use your Personal Data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your Personal Data. You can also exercise the right by contacting SSO using the Contact Us section on SSO’s Site, surgonc.org.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data
- Request correction of your Personal Data
- Request erasure of your Personal Data
- Object to the processing of your Personal Data
- Request restriction of processing your Personal Data
- Request transfer of your Personal Data
- Withdraw your consent
In addition, where you believe that Society of Surgical Oncology has not complied with its obligations under this Privacy Notice or European law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting the SSO using the Contact Us section on the Society’s Site or by sending an email to email@example.com.