For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) registered in Rosemont, IL, USA with a registered address of 9525 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 870, Rosemont, IL, 60018.
SSO’s nominated representative for the purposes of the GDPR is Karen Araujo. Our Data Protection Officer is James Tigueros who be contacted by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Society of Surgical Oncology, 9525 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 870, Rosemont, IL, 60018.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com or call at 847-427-1400.
Personal data that you give us: SSO may collect and process the following Personal Data: contact information, membership information, dues payment information, practice and medical specialty information, product/event purchase information, Annals of Surgical Oncology manuscript submission information.
Personal data we collect from you: With regard to each of your visits to the Site we will automatically collect the following information: information about your Site visit including pages visited and time spent on the SSO Site, location information and continuing medical education and maintenance of certification information.
Non-personal Data: SSO collects information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and SSO may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to the Society’s Site, including, without limitation: IP addresses, browser type and plug-in details, device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), operating system, local time zone.
SSO may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving the Society’s Site. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that the Society stores on your browser or the hard drive of your computer, if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
You do not have to accept SSO’s cookies and can block them by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse all or some cookies. You may also delete them after they have been placed on your hard drive. If you do not accept or delete the Society’s cookies, some areas of the Site that you access may take more time to work, or may not function properly. For more information about cookies, visit: http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
SSO uses the following cookies: strictly necessary cookies, analytical/performance cookies, functionality cookies, targeting cookies, third-party cookies.
You can find more information about the individual cookies SSO uses and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
Cookies used by Society of Surgical Oncology
|Cookie Source||Cookie Name||Purpose||Expiration|
|Google Universal Analytics||_ga||This helps us count how many people visit the Site by tracking if you have visited before||2 years|
How SSO uses your personal data
The Society will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (3) SSO is required by law, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of the Society’s legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests.
SSO may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
Personal Data you give to SSO
SSO will use this Personal Data:
- To carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and SSO and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us, including Annual Cancer Symposium, Annals of Surgical Oncology eTOC, ExpertEd@SSO educational programs and SURGONConnect;
- To organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- To respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- To provide you with information about other events, products and services SSO offers that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- To transfer your information as part of a merger or sale of the business;
- To notify you about changes to the Society’s membership service; and
- To ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Information SSO collects about you
SSO will use this Personal Data:
- To administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To improve SSO’s Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- As part of the Society’s efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising SSO serves to you and others, and to deliver relevant;
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of the SSO Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Personal Data SSO receives from other sources
SSO will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. SSO will use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
When SSO shares and who can access your personal data
SSO may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice with:
- a member of SSO’s group and partners,
- suppliers and sub-contractors,
- analytics and search engine providers that assist the Society in the improvement and optimization of the SSO Site,
- credit reference agencies,
- trusted third-party companies and individuals
- in the event that SSO sells or buys any business or assets, in which case the Society will disclose your Personal Data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Society of Surgical Oncology or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
SSO will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
Selling your personal data
SSO occasionally sells your Personal Data (in the form of name and mailing address only) to third parties. If you would like to opt-out of receiving direct mail from third parties, please send an opt-out request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security and storage
Although SSO uses security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, the Society cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet.
Transfer of personal data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and international Users
SSO is headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by the Society or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you visit the SSO Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using SSO’s Services, you consent to any transfer of this information.
How long SSO stores your personal data
SSO will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits the Society to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. SSO may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, SSO will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request.
The Society maintains one or more databases to store your Personal Data and may keep such information indefinitely.
Where SSO stores your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on the Society’s secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Storage (U.S. law specific). The Personal Data that you provide to SSO is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to SSO servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that SSO has about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, please contact us at email@example.com.
Additionally, if you prefer not to receive marketing messages from SSO, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any marketing message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your European Rights
You have the right to ask SSO not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes. The Society will usually inform you (before collecting your Personal Data) if we intend to use your Personal Data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your Personal Data. You can also exercise the right by contacting SSO using the Contact Us section on SSO’s Site, www.surgonc.org.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data
- Request correction of your Personal Data
- Request erasure of your Personal Data
- Object to the processing of your Personal Data
- Request restriction of processing your Personal Data
- Request transfer of your Personal Data
- Withdraw your consent
In addition, where you believe that Society of Surgical Oncology has not complied with its obligations under this Privacy Notice or European law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting the SSO using the Contact Us section on the Society’s Site or by sending an email to email@example.com.
SSO Mobile App
This privacy notice for the Society of Surgical Oncology (“Company,” “we,” “us,” or “our”), describes how and why we might collect, store, use, and/or share (“process”) your information when you use our services (“Services”), such as when you:
- Download and use our mobile application (SSO Mobile), or any other application of ours that links to this privacy notice
- Engage with us in other related ways, including any sales, marketing, or events
Questions or concerns? Reading this privacy notice will help you understand your privacy rights and choices. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, please do not use our Services. If you still have any questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Personal information you disclose to us. We collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you express an interest in obtaining information about us or our products and Services, when you participate in activities on the Services, or otherwise when you contact us.
Personal Information Provided by You. The personal information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and the Services, the choices you make, and the products and features you use. The personal information we collect may include the following:
- phone numbers
- email addresses
- mailing addresses
Sensitive Information. We do not process sensitive information.
Payment Data. We may collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases. such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument. All payment data is stored by Paypal. You may find their privacy notice link(s) here: https://www.paypal.com/myaccountiprivacy/privacyhub.
Application Data. If you use our application(s) we also may collect the following information if you choose to provide us with access or permission:
- Geolocation Information. We may request access or permission to track location-based information from your mobile device, while you are using our mobile application(s), to provide certain location-based services. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
- Mobile Device Access. We may request access or permission to certain features from your mobile device, including your mobile device’s calendar, camera, contacts, storage. and other features. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device settings.
- Push Notifications. We may request to send you push notifications regarding your account or certain features of the application(s). If you wish to opt out from receiving these types of communications, you may tum them off in your device settings.
This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our application(s), for troubleshooting, and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
All personal information that you provide to us must be true, complete, and accurate, and you must notify us of any changes to such personal information.
Information automatically collected. We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the Services. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information. such as your device characteristics, operating system, device name, device model and other technical information. This information is primarily needed for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
Like many businesses. we also collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
The information we collect includes:
- Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your phone. tablet you use to access the Services. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your application identification numbers and system configuration information.
- Location Data. We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Services. You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your Location setting on your device. However, if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Services.
- HOW DO WE PROCESS YOUR INFORMATION?
We process your information to provide, improve, and administer our Services, communicate with you, for security and fraud prevention; and to comply with law. We may also process your information for other purposes with your consent.
We process your personal information for a variety of reasons, depending on how you interact with our Services, including:
- To send administrative information to you. We may process your information to send you details about our products and services, changes to our terms and policies. and other similar information.
- To save or protect an individual’s vital interest. We may process your information when necessary to save or protect an individual’s vital interest, such as to prevent harm.
- WHEN AND WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may share information in specific situations described in this section and/or with the following third parties.
Vendors, Consultants, and Other Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your data with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents (“third parties”) who perform services for us or on our behalf and require access to such information to do that work. They also commit to protect the data they hold on to our behalf and to retain it for the period we instruct.
The third parties we may share personal information with are as follows:
- Web and Mobile Analytics – Google Analytics for Firebase
- HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
We will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy notice unless a longer retention period is required.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize such information, or, if this is not possible (for example. because your personal information has been stored in backup archives) then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
- HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE?
We aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security measures. We have implemented appropriate and reasonable technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third parties will not be able to defeat our security and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our Services is at your own risk. You should only access the Services within a secure environment.
- DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM MINORS?
We do not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under 18 years of age. By using the Services, you represent that you are at least 18 or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such minor dependent’s use of the Services. If we deem that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, we will deactivate the account and take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we may have collected from children under age 18, please contact us at email@example.com.
- HOW CAN YOU REVIEW, UPDATE OR DELETE THE DATA WE COLLECT FROM YOU?
In certain situations, you may request to review, update, delete your personal information. To do so please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.