The Brazilian Society of Surgical Oncology (BSSO) was founded in May of 1988 and
now has more than 1,000 affiliates. In 2018 the BSSO received the recognition of surgical oncology as a medical specialty and the society was designated as the official representative responsible for board certification in Brazil.
BSSO´s mission is to aggregate professionals involved in cancer treatment, to promote continuous medical education with the exchange of knowledge aimed at prevention, early detection and delivery of the best cancer treatment available for patients, strengthening and representing Brazilian cancer surgery.
BSSO has been a Partner society with the SSO since 2014.
Partnership between BSSO and SSO offers:
– International Career Development Exchange of young Brazilian Surgical Oncologists, provided by SSO for up to two cancer hospitals in the USA. This program is offered by BSSO to authors of the best abstracts presented at the BSSO Congress.
– Presentation of some of the best posters presented at the BSSO Congress at the International Poster Section of the SSO Annual Cancer Symposium
– Annual support, provided by SSO, of one SSO member to give lectures at the BSSO meeting.
– BSSO participation at the Global Forum of Cancer Surgeons.
– Observership provided by BSSO to an SSO member at a Brazilian Cancer Institution.