SSO is pleased to offer AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for manuscript reviews of its official journal, the Annals of Surgical Oncology (ASO).ASO is the journal of choice of surgical oncologists worldwide regarding surgical oncology research and education. ASO promotes high-quality surgical oncology management by communicating advances in research and education that are relevant and valuable to the provision of contemporary multidisciplinary care for patients with cancer. The features that contribute most importantly to the quality of manuscript reviews for ASO include: adherence to reviewer guidelines, accuracy, specificity, and completeness, the usefulness of recommendations, internal consistency, tone and mindfulness of the needs of the surgical community.
The Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education for physicians.
The Society of Surgical Oncology designates this manuscript review activity for a maximum of 3 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Participating in the manuscript review process should assist the reviewer to:
- Improve their skill in the critical analysis of medical literature, knowledge of current issues, multidisciplinary patient care, and practice management in the field of surgical oncology
- Increase their knowledge of the medical literature, current issues, multidisciplinary patient care, and practice management in the field of surgical oncology
- Integrate new discoveries or observations in the field of surgical oncology that will improve their behavior and performance in practice
In accordance with the ACCME’s Accreditation Criteria, the Society of Surgical Oncology must ensure that anyone in position to control the content of this educational activity has disclosed all financial relationships with a commercial interest. All educational planners, authors, reviewers, and other individuals in a position to control or influence the content of this activity were required to disclose all financial relationships with any commercial interest that have occurred within the past 12 months. This includes the disclosure of financial relationships of a spouse or partner. The ACCME considers financial relationships to create conflicts of interest when individuals have both a financial relationship with a commercial interest and the opportunity to affect the content of CME about the products or services of that commercial interest. The ACCME defines a commercial interest as “any entity producing, marketing, reselling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients.” ACCME does not consider providers of clinical service directly to patients to be commercial interests. SSO and the Annals of Surgical Oncology resolve all conflicts of interests prior to manuscript reviews.
- Kelly McMasters, MD, Editor-in-Chief, Annals of Surgical Oncology: Elucida Oncology – Advisory Board.
- Mark Roh, MD, Executive Editor, Annals of Surgical Oncology – has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Please refer to the assigned manuscript for the authors’ financial relationships and conflicts of interest.
Requirements for Manuscript Review CME Credit
- CME Credit Request for Manuscript Reviews will be accepted for all manuscript reviews beginning February 9, 2015
- Reviewer must be a US-based MD
- CME credit is available only for reviews of an original manuscript that requires multiple reviewers
- CME credit is not available for revisions or other types of submissions
- CME credit is available only for reviews that are submitted on time
- Reviewer must submit a completed “CME Credit Request for Manuscript Review” form with their manuscript review
- Reviewers may claim up to 3 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ per review, up to a maximum of five reviews or 15 CME credits per calendar year
- CME Credit Request for Manuscript Review forms must be submitted within one year of completing the manuscript review
For questions please email email@example.com.